Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The View From My Window

First, I would like to thank everyone here at Warm 'n Fuzzy Conserva-Puppies for asking me to join their wonderful blog. It is quite an honor and I hope that I will prove to be an asset.

Tom suggested that I lead off with a post about how I came to my political views. That certainly got my mind going. I cannot emphatically call myself a Republican as I am not registered under either party. And according to the little quizzes you can take to show your political leanings, in every case I have come up as a moderate. Despite all this, I have been assured by many that the Republican party has a very large tent and all are welcome.

In college, I will admit that I leaned left as students are oft to do because of the inherent liberal bias of the college professors. Although I did vote for the first time in '84 for Reagan, I did not feel connected to either party, so I did not declare a party on my voter registration. Later I realized that I really was more moderate because there were liberal and conservative issues that I agreed with, so I would vote according to whomever I thought would be the better person for the job.

Yes, I voted for Clinton in '96, and yes, I must admit that I voted for Gore in 2000 more so because he was a known quantity. It was a case of "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" philosophy. But starting with the multiple recounts in Florida and the whining, crying and gnashing of teeth mostly on the liberal side, I realized that I really didn't like how liberals represented themselves thus representing those of us who voted for them. The whole situation seemed to degenerate into a children's fight on the playground. When Bush was finally proven to be the winner I thought, "Okay, what is this guy all about?"

Before I could really get an answer to that question, 9/11 shattered our world. Politics took a back seat. I was stunned, angry, grief-stricken, and soon I wanted to make the people who had done this pay, and pay just as dearly. This is when I, and the rest of the world, found out what kind of man George W. Bush really is. He was just as angry, and just as grief-stricken as I was, yet he kept a cooler head and did not amass troops on 9/12 (as I would have!). He said that we could not allow the terrorists to get away with this and that we would not let them change our lives. He told us to go on, lead a normal life, do not lock ourselves away in fear, and show those terrorists they would not bring us down. He was very inspiring. Then, he and those he trusted, planned the attack.

Once a plan was established and congress approved it, that's when the divisiveness of the liberal party really began to show itself...What is Bush really up to? Why is he so secretive? Why hasn't he caught bin Laden? Iraq? Okay. What do you mean there are no WMDs? Bush did this! Bush got us into this! Bush lied, people died! This supposed "war on terror" is a quagmire! (always a favorite cry) Complaining to the world that they certainly didn't agree to this.

Wait, wait, wait...yes, you did. It may not have been handled the way you would have liked and there may not have been the WMDs that were expected by everyone and yes, maybe bin Laden hasn't been caught, but that did not make freeing first Afghanistan, then Iraq and capturing Saddam any less necessary. Would you rather have the Taliban running one country? Or Saddam with his degenerate sons wreaking havoc on those innocent people in another country? Would that be better? No, I thought not. You did agree to Bush's plan, but now you want to run the show, call the shots. You often say that you would do things differently, but you have not said how you would do those things. All I have seen this liberal party do over the last several years is lie and scheme and try everything possible to bring the President down. The motivation is, in my estimation, jealousy.

But I digress. Did all these feelings and realizations make me a fanatical right-winger? Turn me into a staunch Republican? No, they didn't. Because there are fools and idiots on both sides of the aisle (Lord knows I didn't vote for Governor Taft!) and since I do still agree with a few things liberal and more things conservative, I still have not declared a party on my voter registration. I don't think the right-wing fanatics would accept me in their number, but neither would the left-wingers! I am a moderate....but I'm sure leaning way over to the right and I think I will probably stay here as it is a very good place for me to be!
UPDATE: You can read the mini-bios of the other puppies by reading Peter's Greetings from a pro-market Flemish friend of America, Marvin's Another Puppy, Kat's I am a change agent, Tom's A Cold Warrior, Larry's My Confession and Mark's Always a Republican, sort of