Friday, November 04, 2011

Did Newt Deliver Divorce Papers to his 'Dying Wife'?

That wife Gingrich left on her death bed is alive Look, I thought it was true, too. That when Newt Gingrich's first wife was dying of cancer, he delivered divorce papers to her so he could get together with a younger woman.

Now, a lot of that story seems to be true, according to this column by GIngrich's daughter, while much of it is misrepresented, she claims. But the one fact that really caught my eye: Newt Gingrich's first wife, Jackie Battley Gingrich, is still alive. She wasn't really on her death bed.

Here's the passage from young Jackie Gingrich Cushman's column from May:

"My mother and I have both recently run into quite a few people who hold an inaccurate understanding of this hospital visit. Many think my mother is dead.

"So, to correct the record, here is what happened: My mother, Jackie Battley Gingrich, is very much alive, and often spends time with my family. I am lucky to have such a "Miracle Mom," as I titled her in a column this week. [...]"
[snip]
"[....]
[It was the spring of 1980.

I was 13 years old, and we were about to leave Fairfax, Va., and drive to Carrollton, Ga., for the summer. My parents told my sister and me that they were getting a divorce as our family of four sat around the kitchen table of our ranch home.

Soon afterward, my mom, sister and I got into our light-blue Chevrolet Impala and drove back to Carrollton.

Later that summer, Mom went to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta for surgery to remove a tumor. While she was there, Dad took my sister and me to see her.

It is this visit that has turned into the infamous hospital visit about which many untruths have been told. I won't repeat them. You can look them up online if you are interested in untruths. But here's what happened:

My mother and father were already in the process of getting a divorce, which she requested.

Dad took my sister and me to the hospital to see our mother.

She had undergone surgery the day before to remove a tumor.

The tumor was benign.]

"Newt's daughter goes on to state that her mom (Newt's first wife) had requested the divorce. But most importantly, it seems -- SHE DIDN'T DIE. "------------(read more)

Ht -Lucianne.com