Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Bravery in the face of danger

I hate to toot my own horn. But a month ago my wife and I planned to go whitewater rafting on the Arkansas River in Colorado on the 21st of August. Then we heard about the possiblity of a terrorist attack sometime around the 22nd of August. Did we cancel our rafting trip? Of course not. I told my wife, "If we cancel this rafting trip due to concerns about suicide rafters hijacking our raft, the terrorists will have won."


My wife and I were lucky. The rafting company took the extra precaution of adding a Raft Marshall. Notice how he is looking back while the rest of us are looking forward. Excellent training they get, don't you think? This way they can spot a suicide raft approaching from behind. And not a single terrorist attack during our entire vacation.