Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Bush Democrats

I bet there are more people like Ed Koch than most pundits realize.
"I know what you're thinking," Koch said with a smile. "What's Ed Koch doing at the Republican convention? Me! A Democratic district leader in Greenwich Village, Democratic city council member, a Democratic member of Congress, a Democratic mayor. Why am I here? I'm here to convert you. But that's for the next election. This year, I'm voting for the reelection of President George W. Bush!" The crowd roared with applause.
"I've never voted for a Republican president before," Koch told CNN shortly after his introductory remarks. "But I am voting to re-elect George W. Bush because I believe that the Democratic party, regrettably, doesn't have the stomach to take on international terrorism. And George Bush has demonstrated he does."